On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 16:12:53 -0800, Robert Wheelock wrote:

> 1.  Convert a TrueType (or EPS Type 1) font's characters into
>     individual .GIF (or .BMP) images

GhostScript?  It dropped gif support because of licensing issues, but
supports plenty of other graphic formats.  You just need to wrtite a
little script.

> 2.  The reverse-use individual .GIF (or .BMP) images to build a
>     useful TrueType (or EPS Type 1) font.

FontLab with ScanFont <http://www.fontlab.com/>.  FontLab is generally
regarded as being the best font editor.  Drawing glyphs from scratch
is a weakness of FontLab v3.x, so several font designers I know prefer
to draw somewhere else (e.g. Fontographer) but do all other work in
FontLab.  But since you work with scans, this weakness should be
irrelevant in your situation.

Or you can try your luck with GNU fontutils (limn + bzrto).

SY, Uwe
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         |       Zu Grunde kommen