For what it's worth, in this oh-so-important discussion... I have seen this length
mark used with both Katakana and Hiragana (I suppose that puts me in the good company
of 'Leven Digit Boy, only he can prove it and I can't).  Call the usage nonce or
whatever... So what?  It would be fair to say this length mark is not NORMALLY used
with Hiragana, which NORMALLY uses the vowel "u" to indicate lengthening.  Katakana
likewise NORMALLY uses the length mark, but is not prevented from using the "u" vowel,
and in some contexts does so.  For what it's worth trivia-wise, Katakana-as-okurigana
is a style not normally used in the ordinary writing of Japanese sentences, but they
can be, and on occasion are (especially in old orthography)...so don't be surprised
when you see them... the natives are not going nuts, they're merely surprising the
Conservative Foreign Formalists.

I suppose the bicameral name of this thing, U+30FC KATAKANA-HIRAGANA PROLONGED SOUND
MARK, is one of those Great Mysteries Buried in Time, the answer to which only Dr.
Whistler knows.  (I would lay a handful of soft currency on the truth of the
proposition that there exists an ancient meeting document on yellow lined paper of the
pre-Consortium Unicode Working Group which could shed light on the question of this
name, but I digress.)  At least the name indicates that one is not nominally prevented
from using it for Katakana, thus pre-empting perennial requests from the Completist
Fringe for the addition of a second length mark for use with Hiragana.

        Rick

Begin forwarded message: