> Actually, I think that the directionality of the page *CONSIDERED AS A
> WHOLE* is directly related to the locale of the user.
Thank you Addison.  You are actually saying what I thought...the
directionality of the page should be governed by the user's preference
(based on the locale from the browser) not the actual data.

Now back to my *original* question.  :-)

Is there a general mechanism for determining the directionality of a locale?

It looks like I will have to maintain a table of locales or use heuristics
like '..if the language code of the locale is set to "ar"...'

David Tooke
[EMAIL PROTECTED]