At 09:56 -0800 2001-03-01, Carl W. Brown wrote:

>It looks like the Unicode TR 21 special casing rules for the Greek final
>sigma are not quite right.
>
>The final sigma in modern Greek should only be used at the end of a word
>including the case where separate words are joined with hard hyphens.  If it
>is followed by a character such as a combining mark or soft hyphen you must
>continue scanning to see what follows.  If it is followed a letter then it
>is not final.
>
>A simpler test might be it see if a letter or a spacing character or hard
>hyphen is found first.  If it is a letter then it is not a final sigma.

Which is what we do at the TLG with Beta code (whose S is both medial or
final); in fact, Beta code conflates hard hyphens and dashes anyway,
considering the (em) dash, without space, punctuation.

If the Unicode rules are wrong, well, I hope those that can fix them are
tuned in. :-)

    Nick Nicholas, Thesaurus Linguae Graecae.      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                           www.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis
 "All the nations also under his dominion were filled with joy and
 inexpressible gladness at not being even for a moment deprived of the
 benefits of a well ordered government."
    --- Eusebius of Caesaria on the accession of Constantine I.