Yves Arrouye wrote:

> > > UTF-32, which
> > >
> > > Um... no. The 1,113,023 character alphabet (one more than the
> > > encodable
> > > scalar values in the codespace supported by UTF-8 / 16 / 32).
> > >

> >       Um... no.  The UTF-32 CES can handle much more than the current
> > space of the Unicode CCS.  As far as I can tell, it's good to
> > go until we
> > need more than 32 bits to represent the ACR.  I'm actually
> > surprised that
> > this comment was so misunderstood.  Ah, well...
>
> Since the U in UTF stands for Unicode, UTF-32 cannot represent more than
> what Unicode encodes, which is is 1+ million code points. Otherwise, you're
> talking about UCS-4. But I
> thought that one of the latest revs of ISO 10646 explicitely specified that
> UCS-4 will never encode more than what Unicode can encode, and thus
> definitely these 4 billion characters you're alluding to.
>
> YA

Isn't the U in UTF for UCS (Universal Character Set)?  It was my understanding
that except for possibly some header information & endianess, UTF-32 is the
same as UCS-4 valuewise.  The difference is that UTF-32 is an encoding, UCS-4
is a character representation scheme.  Is this correct?  If so, I don't think
it's absolutely correct to say what range UTF-32 can represent.

There's so many Uxx acronyms around that it's very confusing for a beginner.
Correct me if I'm wrong - UCS-2, UCS-4, & Unicode are for talking about
character representations.  UTF-x mean encodings.

BTW, thanks to all that have contributed comments to this thread.  I'm finding
the feedback very helpful.

-allan

begin:vcard
n:Chau;Allan
tel;fax:(604)640-6225
tel;work:(604)640-6210 ext 272
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.rsasecurity.com
org:RSA Security;Engineering
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Software Developer
adr;quoted-printable:;;One Bentall Centre		=0D=0A505 Burrard Street, Suite 300		=0D=0A;Vancouver;BC;V7X 1M3;Canada
fn:Allan Chau
end:vcard