On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

> Teh marbuta sorted with heh is surprising: I thought it would have been
> sorted with teh. But, of course, I have no idea how the letter is pronounced
> in Farsi: is it ever read [t]?

It's pronounced as [t] in Persian, but it's sorted with Heh. Please note
that the letter is very rare in Persian, and people need to find it if
they encounter it. Because the Persian alphabet ordeing is usually
shape based, they will try to find it with Heh.

> Do you know how teh marbutah sorts in Arabic or other languages written in
> Arabic script?

In Arabic it's sorted before Teh, I believe.

> BTW, is it correct that teh maruta in Farsi only occurs in words of Arabic
> origin?

Yes, and they are becoming fewer with time, they become Heh or Teh. The
most common word using Teh Marbuta is "daa'erat-ol-ma'aaref"
(encyclopedia) which is written as Dal, Alef, Yeh with Hamza above, Reh,
Teh Marbuta, Space, Alef, Lam, Meem, Ain, Alef, Reh, Feh.

--roozbeh