On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:00:55 -0500, Jeff Guevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> Better if you also keep the distinction between "octet" (a series of
> >> 8 bits) and "byte" (a series of n bits, where n is often but NOT
> >> always 8).
> >
> > When is a byte not eight bits?
>
> The Web version of the Oxford English Dictionary (http://dictionary.oed.com)
> says a byte is always eight bits:

I hate to quibble with the OED, but its definition is overly IBM-360-centric.
I'm sure some of you remember the 36-bit-word machines of the 1950s through
80s (and I believe at least one is still in production to this day -- the
heir to the Sperry 1100 line).  Many of these machines had bytes of non-8
sizes, and some had variable-length bytes.  On the PDP-6 and PDP-10, for
example, bytes were commonly 7 bits long, but could (and often were) any
size between 1 and 36 bits.

I mention this only because these influential but by now largely forgotten
machines are poised to make a comeback, thanks to *several* PDP-10 emulators
that were released in recent weeks.

For more about one of the 36-bit machines, the DECSYSTEM-20, see:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/dec20.html

and see the links at the bottom if you want to find the emulators.  For more
about some of the other 36-bit machines (such as the IBM 701 and its
descendents), see:

  http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/timeline.html

None of this has a thing to do with Unicode, so anybody who finds this
interesting is encouraged to "turn on the wayback machine" at:

- Frank