In a message dated 2001-03-23 4:50:21 Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  That Sarasvati wants to do things her way is fine by me. That she made
>  me log into the Internet, launch my browser, just to get to the mockery
>  of the poll.html and no Democratic-Process, is a slap in the face. The
>  Consortium is as arrogant as ever.

I don't normally complain publicly about e-mail and mailing list conventions
and inconveniences, since my e-mail software is usually the weak link anyway,
but I have to agree with Adam and pretty much everyone else about some of the
new "improvements" to the list.

The [unicode] tag doesn't do anything for me except obscure the actual
Subject: line.  And there is the problem somebody mentioned with "Re:
[unicode] Re: [unicode] Re:..."  We have that problem at work with cc:Mail,
where we sometimes get messages titled "Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd:..."  Maybe
this new convention benefits Sarasvati in some way, but I don't recall anyone
else asking for it.

The quotational limit enforcement may sound like a good idea at first, to
discourage overlong quotes and "Me too" messages, but concrete bot-enforced
limits will create more problems.  Earlier this week I wrote an e-mail at
work that quoted about 25 lines from two other people's messages and added
about 7 lines of my own.  The quotes were carefully chosen and 100% germane
to my response, which I edited carefully to avoid needless verbosity (for
once!).  It was really a very nice e-mail.  It would have been rejected under
the new Unicode list policies, because of the 30 lines-65% rule, and I would
have been forced to filibuster my response to please the bot.

I never used to complain about (e.g.) the lack of a digest mode, even though
I receive digests on almost all my other mailing lists, because there was a
valid technical reason for it.  These latest changes, in contrast, seem to
have been made and deemed unchangeable for arbitrary reasons, just to prove
that Sarasvati is in charge.

I will *not* be unsubscribing to the Unicode list to protest these changes,
but count me as one more unhappy camper.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California