> At Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:13:33 -0800, Rick McGowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >David Starner wrote:
> >
> >> I have a copy of Shellbear's Practical Malay Grammar that I'm preparing
> >> to transcribe for Project Gutenberg. Unfortunately, he represents
> >>the
> >> Malaysian alphabet in a Latin transliteration that includes ng as
> >> single ligatured form, and I don't know how to transcribe in Unicode.
> >
> >Could you perhaps post or point to a picture of what it looks like?
> >suppose it's an "N" with a loopy tail of some type.
>
> More like rg. A picture is attached.

Nope. It is clearly intended as an ng-ligature, as you surmised.
Not seeing the rest of the context, I surmise that it represents an eng
phoneme that is normally written digraphically in Malay and Indonesian.

In Unicode you would transcribe this "ng".

If you want to hint this for ligaturing in an appropriate font, you
could transcribe n ZWJ g, but you then need to make sure that your text
is displayed with fonts that display ZWJ appropriately (no glyph, rather
than a black box, when no ligation triple for n ZWJ g is present in
the font).

--Ken