This is sort of a technical font question, but since it concerns getting
Unicode characters to display properly in the popular PDF format, I think
it's germane; any pointers to other sources of help will be gratefully
accepted.

I have created a Unicode font (several hundred characters) and want to use
it in PDF documents.  I've been working with TrueType because of Type 1's
inability to access more than 256 characters at time, although I could
generate a Type 1 font if need be.  When I embed the TT font in a PDF,
things actually work, rather to my surprise.  But, as best I can tell,
Acrobat actually creates a Type 3 font from my TrueType outline, rather
than using the TT font.  This prints OK but looks _horrible_ on screen,
presumably due to the lack of hinting.

Does anybody know a way around this?  if I generated a Type 1 font in
FontLab, with hinting, could Acrobat use this?  I see that the charts on
the Unicode web site are in PDF format--maybe someone can tell how this was
done.

Thanks -- David