At 10:20 -0400 2001-04-20, Dean A. Snyder wrote:

>I believe that somebody HAS indeed "complained about the proposed
>architecture" for Hieroglyphic in Unicode. I have been told that there was
>an organized protest from within the Egyptological community against the
>proposal a few years ago as being entirely too premature and inadequate.

They only complained about the repertoire being unready. Which is
fine. Nobody said a thing about the proposed encoding, which
basically tries to map the Manuel de codage.

>Also at the University of Chicago conference on Electronic Publication of
>Near Eastern Texts in 1999 the consensus among the Egyptologists seemed to
>be that the current state of the art in Egyptian paleography and orthography
>did not bode well for a Unicode proposal in the near future.

We should, at a minimum, work on the architecture and the Gardiner
repertoire, which enjoys non-scholarly popularity and for which there
exists already non-Unicode software support.

>My experience with other ancient script systems has been that the Unicode
>Consortium should only entertain proposals to the standard after ACTIVELY
>seeking the input from the relevant (scholarly) communities - something
>which the ICE and UFU projects are doing for two cuneiform script systems.

We have been in discussion with Egyptologists, including those who
devised the Manuel de codage.

>And, if it isn't the case now, I would also propose that relevant input on
>proposals should somehow be formally tied to and registered with the various
>proposals themselves.

Not sure what you mean by this. There was a position paper from
Germany on the repertoire to which I responded, but those scholars
have not participated in direct discussions with us yet.

>(It would be hard for me to imagine that the rejection
>of the Hieroglyphic proposal by the Egyptological community has not been
>formally associated with the proposal itself.)

It addressed only the repertoire issue.
--
Michael Everson  **  Everson Gunn Teoranta  **   http://www.egt.ie
Mob +353 86 807 9169 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Vox +353 1 478 2597