Thanks for all the interesting feedback.

Now let me ask a slightly different question: Prior to Unicode and ISO
10646, what were the smallest and largest size code units ever used for
representing character data? In the various responses, there was reference
to 6- and 9-bit character representations (on the Unisys 1100: 6 for
"Fielddata", and 9 for ASCII). There may have been other references to big
and small sizes for character data but if so it wasn't clear to me if
specifically character data was involved.

Any characters bigger than 9 bits smaller than 6?

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>