In a message dated 2001-05-29 12:42:38 Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>>  How long is "the past"? I remember reading about these surrogates the
first
>>  time I put my hands on a draft copy of ISO 10646. It was nearly six years
>>  ago.
>
>  Surrogate range was defined there but no character was defined in that
range
>  until recently.

This is completely irrelevant.  There is no character defined at U+0220, but
I have no business designing an application that is permanently incapable of
handling such a character, should there ever be one, and even less business
demanding that the code point be permanently reserved due to the inability of
my application to handle it.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California