Wednesday, May 30, 2001
Attached is a note I wrote in September 1993 about the ratio of characters
to glyphs in several Indic scripts.  Much has changed on the Unicode
front since then, but I think the need for rendering software to decide
which of many glyphs to use to represent a given sequence of codes is
still with us.  A similar situation obtains with Arabic--unless one
requires the use of Arabic presentation forms.  If one excludes the
combining characters at U+0300 to 0362 European scripts tend to have a 1:1
character to glyph ratio; Chinese, Japanese and (maybe Korean) scripts
also tend to have a 1:1 character to glyph ratio.  But most scripts
between Europe and the Far East--Arabic, South and Southeast Asian ones do
not.  Unless the rendering software and the fonts are in synch the results
will be unsatisfactory.  A few posting on the 'single font' discussion
have mentioned this but I hope some data may be helpful.
     The story goes that back in Ancient Greece (I think) someone was
describing Utopia and a listener asked, "But who will do the work?" and
the reply was, "Oh, we will  have slaves."  The computer now can be an
effective slave when given explicit instructions, but without consistent
instructions the results will not be satisfactory.
     This may be beyond the scope of Unicode which aims to unambiguously
encode text for the computer (and succeeds) but does not dwell on details
of its input or output--rendering it legible for humans to read.

     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
     The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
views of any government or any agency of any.
Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US mail: I.T.S. Dev.Gp.4, Library
of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE, Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.