My very simple rule of thumb for telling Japanese from Chinese is to look for kana. If
I see even one kana, I am looking at Japanese, right? (Warning: A few kanji resemble
katakana.) So if I see so much as a hiragana "to", it's Japanese, right?
But sometimes there are stretches of many kanji.

Doesn't this kanji
<bad-ascii-art>

   -------
        /
      _/
    _/
   / |____
</bad ascii art>
NOT to be confused with hiragana "e" (oy vey), usually only appear in Chinese?

Pardon my incoherence. I haven't had enough sake.

  らんま     ★じゅういっちゃん★
 ×あかね
ーーーーー     PTKA IZGT F SFNNGYGB ZRMSFTB WM
 あまんけ     NFEGT FM MGYWPRMKA FM F SFNNGYGB IWOG
ねけあず      IWKK QGT FT IPQGT ZFXG GHRFK YWJZNM.
らんま
ーーーーー
いいなずけ