Caveat:  This will only be of interest to Japanese speakers, so you can hit
delete now if you're not interested.

TOYOSHIMA Masayuki pointed at:

> http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~lf4a-okjm/genkan61.htm

Oh!  How interesting!  Exactly what I needed.

The link to:
        http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~lf4a-okjm/genkan21.htm
(year of Showa 21 or 1946) explains the conventions between old and new
orthography devised to fix the problem of non-alignment between spelling and
pronunciation.

A very useful document, thank you! In particular, the point I was interested
in, having to do with "du", which was just pointed out by Mr Hiura:

    たゞし

(1)二語の連合によって生じた[ぢ]、[づ]は[ぢ]、[づ]と書く。
      例   【省略】

(2)同音の連呼によって生じた[ぢ]、[づ]は、[ぢ]、[づ]と書く。
      例   【省略】

By the way, in the text at that URL (
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~lf4a-okjm/genkan21.htm), there was some kind of
moji-bake conversion problem in the middle, at the points "第六"
through "第十二".  Anyone have the correct text for these two points?
Is the file corrupted? I'm looking at it in IE 5.0.

        Rick