From: "Adam Twardoch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I have just finished reading Ken Lude's "CJKV Information Processing"
> (O'Reilly, 1999). While I found much of the information contained in that
> book highly helpful, I can't help the feeling that its structure might
need
> a slightly more systemmatic approach.

No offense, but after looking at what you feel is missing, it feels a bit
like you are looking at your automobile and saying that its all well and
good but it does not support flight in any kind of systematic way. The book
does not cover these things since that was not the intention of the book!

> What I definitely missed from the book, was a clear overview of major
> platforms (operating systems and applications), and font formats supported
> therein.

I would argue that this is not necessarily something important to the vast
majority of people, who work with a single platform. Certainly there are
companies that span platforms, but this the rule more than the exception,
and these companies already have their own [internal] docs on these issues.

You may get some specific answers to questions in your mail. For me, the
whole thing kind of constipated itself in your very long list of demands for
information that is NOT centered in a single place for the convenience of
others specifically because it is scattered in a myriad of sources.

I think on the whole you will have to work a lot harder here then expecting
a cross-platform, cross-version, cross-language summary to be available
through any mailing list, book, website, or telephone pole.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.
http://www.trigeminal.com/