My impression is that at least in U.S. states, which are more heavily
populated by native Spanish speakers, the one diacritic, which is
frequently viewed by English speakers as non-optional to differentiate
two words (specifically proper names) is the tilde as used for the
eņe. There is a college in Redwood City, CA, which is called Caņada
College and, which is off of Caņada Road. I haven't checked
thoroughly, but I believe most road signs there use the eņe. I do know
of one highway exit in the area though which spells it "Canada
College".

Alex.