At 02:41 11/27/2001, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

>Eight keystrokes to replace a single character isn't exactly what I would
>call an efficient solution. You have a six character word, and your solution
>requires deleting and retyping four of them. At this conditions, it would be
>simpler to delete the whole words and type it from scratch.

FWIW:
This is exactly what a lot of people would do, even if only a single,
fairly easily selectable character needs changing. When I'm typing, I'm
processing words in my head, not strings of characters, and it is easier to
delete and retype a whole word -- to step back and then continue my train
of thought -- than to interrupt my thought to select an individiual
character. I don't think efficiency in input can necessarily be measured by
number of keystrokes.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks          www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

... es ist ein unwiederbringliches Bild der Vergangenheit,
das mit jeder Gegenwart zu verschwinden droht, die sich
nicht in ihm gemeint erkannte.

... every image of the past that is not recognized by the
present as one of its own concerns threatens to disappear
irretrievably.
                                               Walter Benjamin