It's very much working that way in any serious browsers.
Some font formats (e.g. bitmaps for XWindows on Unix)
use layouts corresponding to traditional encodings.
Truetype fonts used on many systems can be directly
accessed by Unicode, but part of the info in a conversion
table is still needed to know what characters (actually
glyphs!) a font covers.

Regards,    Martin.