On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Michael Everson wrote:

> I think it's cute. But I guess I'd call it "tri".
> --
> Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com

Thanks, good suggestion! Don Tucker pointed out the stability of a
three-legged stool. It has to be one-syllable, though tri does
have a certain "3"-ness to it.

David Starner's constructive suggestion:

>Get it in use, and then the Unicode standard will encode it.

is at the same time somewhat a Catch-22. Nelson Beebe recommended it since
he figured unicode 3.2 would be the make or break for "getting it in use".
I'd be curious if you disagree with the thesis that a symbol for
6.28 has scientific/mathematical merit (in comparison 3.14...), and if so
why? I was hoping someone would contend this point when it was published,
since I am interested to learn any conceptual advantages of 3.14... other
than historical inertia, but no one did. Historical inertia prevents
elimination of the error, but I'm just suggesting an alternate might
be nice. The Lituanian Math Journal asked to translate and reprint it,
although that probably doesn't qualify as "in use". It was also accepted
"in use" in the Mathematical Association of America's refereed Journal
of Online Mathematics www.joma.org/more/palaismore.html where the
one revolution periodicity and 1/4 phase shifts are represented and
the graphs are labelled more simply with this symbol.

The response to the article chosen for publication also notes the
evangelical (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) tone: "I agree with Bob
Palais' \pi -ous article but it might be 2 \pi- ous" :-)