Thomas Tomosky wrote,

> On our web site, can I force the visitor's character set to be UTF-8?
> Unless their
> browser is set up properly, they can't view the site properly.  As an
> alternative to
> providing instructions to them on how to do this, I would like to
> programmatically set
> the character encoding to UTF-8.  How can I do that?

The character set should be declared in the <head> section of the HTML,
this should force the browser to load the page in the desired character
set automatically.
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

For more info about character sets and valid HTML, please see:
http://validator.w3.org/

Best regards,

James Kass.