> (1) Sorting
> It is said, that in sorting, all combining marks should be
disregarded.
> While in Vietnamese this is OK for the (combining) tone marks, it is
> absolutely not OK for the (combining) modifiers. In Vietnamese, e.g.
an "a"

That is not the position taken in Unicode. Combining marks should be
taken into account in sorting in a tailoring that is based upon how
they are handled in the language in question. For example, particular
ones may be treated as tones and sorted on a third level, while others
may be treated as letter modifiers and sorted on the first level.
Different combinations can also be sorted differently, according to
the requirements of the language. For more information, see the UCA:
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/).

Also, the UCA specifically requires that canonical equivalence be
maintained (unless the source domain is limited to strings that do not
contain alternates), so conformant application of the UCA will sort
all of the following the same:

> >(1) fully precomposed (NFC) -- that is, U+1EA4
> >(2) base character and modifier precomposed, tonal mark
combining -- that is,
> >U+00C2 U+0301
> >(3) base character, then modifier, then tonal mark -- that is,
U+0041 U+0302
> >U+0301
> > (4) like (3), but modifier and tonal mark sorted (NFD)
also in some cases
(5) base character and tonal mark composed, modifier combining

Mark
—————

Πόλλ’ ἠπίστατο ἔργα, κακῶς δ’ ἠπίστατο
πάντα — Ὁμήρου Μαργίτῃ