"Falkor" wrote:

> I was thinking more that this would allow modern software to translate
> lower-ASCII three-character sequence into a single unicode emoticon
> character that would be displayed properly regardless of OS and
software,
> also alleviating the need for such developers to create proprietary
artwork
> for each.  This multiple-keystroke-per-character input method does
have
> precedent with Asian languages.

I'm starting to wonder about this thread. Really, why would anybody want
to have the Ascii-smilies replaced by single standardized "faces"
created by some font designer? The creative process of composing these
smilies from their Ascii components, together with the the
open-endedness of the repertoire and the scope for creative variation
this involves - isn't that just the fun of the whole thing? The
playfulness? Isn't it exactly this what has made them so popular?

Lukas