Stefan Probst wrote:
> On the other side, there seems actually no need to display
> non-NFKC for the Web, since as far as I understand, W3C
> is planning to make NFKC a requirement for the Web.

Wait: my understanding is different here. A sequence like "q" + combining
tilde *is* NFKC. It is also NFC, NFD and NFKD.

What (canonical or compatibility) *composition* normalization does is
converting a sequence to a precomposed character, *if* one exist. What W3C
says when they mandate composition is that a sequence like "a" + combining
tilde has to be converted to the single code point "a with tilde".

But, if there is no precomposed character for "q with tilde", then the
combining tilde *must* be maintained in all normalization forms. Whether or
not this combining tilde is displayed nicely is a different story, but it
cannot be discarded.

> By trying to normalize the input (the combining sequences
> to NFKC) IE might even work against planned W3C rules.

Why? Isn't that what W3C asked? The only risk is that the normalization is a
waste of time, because it has already been made by the server.

BTW, are you sure that it is NFKC? My understanding is that it was NFC +
some extra passages. For instance, would superscript numbers like "²" be
turned to "2"? I hope not, as that would break lots of web pages.

> Assuming, that the renderer is part of the OS and used by
> most - if not all - applications, I conclude, that Windows
> ME is not able to handle the combining modifier characters.

The renderer is a DLL called Uniscribe, which is not shipped by default with
all MS operating systems. I think that 95, 98 and ME only receive by
installing IE support for some languages.

> Anybody experiences with other OSs / other characters?

To my experience, most Windows NT apps behave like your description: things
are better only inside IE. But Windows 2000 seems to work fine out of the
box, in most applications.

_ Marco