There is a related problem in connection with Norwegian typography:
Most fonts include the 'fi' and 'ffi' ligatures, but I have never
heard of a commercial font which includes the 'fj' ligature.

Using such a font, the word 'fire' (four) would be ligated correctly,
while 'fjerde' (fourth) would not.

And exactly what does the rendering of the 'international' loan-word
/fjord/ look like in printed matter around the world? I regularly find
it unligated in English and German reference works which have in other
aspects virtually perfect typography.

-Herman

--
Herman Ranes                Høgskolen i Sør-Trøndelag
                             Avdeling for teknologi

  • ... Peter_Constable
    • ... Herman Ranes
      • ... John H. Jenkins