At 13:31 4/19/2002, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:

>The latest docs I've seen indicate four hex chars in the uniXXXX names
>for glyphs corresponding to BMP chars.  What should be done for glyphs
>corresponding to characters in the supplementary planes?

Adobe are supposed to have posted an update to their glyph naming rules.
The basic upshot of this update are that non-BMP characters should be named
using scalar values with the prefix 'u', e.g. u344DE. Ligated or glyphs
otherwise representing more than one character should use the underscore
convention: u344DE_u3456A. Note that the ligature glyph name form
uni04560368 is limited to BMP characters only. Unencoded variant forms
should use the dot convention, as current with BMP characters: u344DE.alt,
u344DE.swash, etc..

In future software, you should be able to use the 'u' prefix for either BMP
or non-BMP characters, but for backwards compatibility you probably should
use 'uni' for the former.

I should let someone from Adobe answer your other questions.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks          www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Last words of Jesuit grammarian Dominique Bouhours:
"I am about to — or I am going to — die; either expression is used."