David J. Perry scripsit:

> What does this mean -- that font vendors should add glyphs to
> the PUA?  This does not help to further the standard.  What we need is
> support for combining marks so we can use what has been in Unicode for a
> very long time.  I've read that support for combining marks in Latin is
> coming in Office, and I am assuming that this means Greek and Cyrillic
> also.  If anyone can confirm that, you would make my day.

No, the point is that fonts (which consist of glyphs, not characters)
for polytoniko Greek should contain these upsilon-based glyphs, with
ligature tables that cause them to be used when the appropriate string
of Unicode characters are being displayed.

Otherwise, the smooth breathing upsilons will have to be created
by superimposing the combining character glyphs, which will be
lower quality than the glyphs representing the precomposed
characters.

--
John Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     http://www.reutershealth.com