Addison Phillips [wM] wrote:
 > Obviously I'm not an expert in these linguistic areas (and hence
 > rarely comment on them), but it seems to me that the lack of other
 > mechanisms makes Unicode an attractive target for criticism in this
 > area.

Certainly no Unicode-bashing was intended (I'm more of a Unicode
evangelist). I guess I'm confused about the use of Unicode character
properties. Are you saying that, even though Unicode defines U+0027 as
punctuation, other, I could use it as a glottal stop and create a locale
that would treat it as a letter (and still be "Unicode compliant",
whatever that is?). And if that's the case, are the Unicode properties
just guides? Could I develop an orthography where Yβяبձ⁋ would be a
word, and there would be no consequences?

Mockingbird Font Works                  http://www.mockfont.com/