Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh at sharif dot edu> wrote:

> BTW, I would love to see a standard keyboard layout/input method
> specification language. Why no one has started such a thing?

There is such a thing -- ISO 9995.  This standard comprises seven parts;
Part 1 defines a row-column notation for every key on the keyboard.  For
example, the "2" key is at position E02, and the "S" key two rows below
that is at C02.  The shift states ("levels") are also identified: Level
1 is the normal state, Level 2 is the Shift state, and Level 3 is the
AltGr or Ctrl+Alt state.  (There isn't supposed to be a "Level 4,"
corresponding to Shift+AltGr, but many systems provide one.)

I can't find a definitive online reference to Part 1, but if you visit
Alain LaBonté's site at:

    http://iquebec.ifrance.com/cyberiel/sc35wg1/

you can read and download draft copies of Parts 2 and 3, which should
give you all the information you need to figure things out.  (Alain is
the project editor for the ISO 9995 series.)

The nice thing about ISO 9995 nomenclature is that you can refer
unambiguously to, say, the "B01" key instead of calling it the "Z" key
and confusing your French and German users.  The disadvantages are that
the system is not familiar or convenient to many people, especially end
users -- quick, what key is at C07? -- plus there are some keys that may
appear in different physical locations, such as the (U.S.) backslash/
vertical bar key, which may be found at D13, C12, or even B00.

Your ISIRI 2901:1994 keyboard layout, displayed using ISO 9995 notation,
would look like this:

--
 Key   Level 1   Level 2
 ---   -------   -------