                                            Tuesday, August 20, 2002
In English, at least in questions, the apostrophe signals more than just
omission of a letter.  A co-worker here has a sign that says, What part
of "No" do you not understand?  When written or spoken as a contration
this becomes What part of "No" don't you understand? in which "you" gets
transposed to follow the short form of not.  When I see a line break with
n't on the new line I wince but keep on reading.
     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
     The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
views of any government or any agency of any.
     Addresses: Office: Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US
mail: I.T.S. Sys.Dev.Gp.4, Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE,
Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.
Home: Phone: 301 946-7326; US mail: Box 291, Garrett Park, MD 20896.