--- On Thu 09/05, Kenneth Whistler < [EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
From: Kenneth Whistler [mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 18:27:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: various stroked characters

> Peter,
>
> Here's my take on your questions.
>
> > The less clear cases involve b, d and g.
> >
> > 1) Lower case "b" with a horizontal stroke through the bowl
> (hereafter
> > "b-stroke-bowl") is used in some phonetic traditions for
> voiced bilabial
> > fricative (beta, in IPA). The annotation for U+0180 ("b"
> with a horizontal
> > stroke across the ascender) indicates that one of its intended
> purposes is
> > for phonetic transcription of the same phone. Of course, U+03B2
> (beta) also
> > has this function and is not unified with 0180, but these are
> clearly
> > distinct characters (e.g. 0180 and 03B2 have other unrelated
> functions). I
> > can't imagine anyone using b-stroke-bowl contrastively with 0180.
> Thus,
> > probably the best option is to treat b-stroke-bowl as a typographic
> variant
> > of 0180.
> >
> > Any opinions confirming this view or to the contrary?
>
> I agree.
>
> This is what Pullum and Ladusaw called the "Barred B", as
> opposed to the
> Indo-European "Crossed B" (i.e. U+0180):
>
> "By a general convention, barred stop symbols (with a superimposed
> hyphen or short dash through the body of the letter) are often used
> to represent those fricatives for which the IPA symbols are not used.
> The resultant symbols have the advantage of being easy to type on an
> unmodified typewriter."
>
> By the way, there is also the "Slashed B", which is another
> alternative
> form for the Barred B, used for the same purpose, but instantiated by
> typing b / instead of b -.
>
> For what it is worth, the founders of Unicode considered these three
> forms to be allographs of an abstract barred-b character, so that is
> what the current situation is. Trying to separately encode a "Barred
> B"
> distinct from the "Crossed B" would, at this point, constitute
> an
> explicit disunification, rather than simply a discovery of an overlooked
> character to encode.
>
> > 2) Next, consider the g. The representative glyph in TUS3.0 for
> U+01E5
> > shows a double-bowl g with a horizontal stroke through both sides of
> the
> > bottom bowl. The annotation indicates that it is used for Skolt
> Saami.
> > Looking at a few fonts, I see some variations: Andale Mono and Code
> 2000
> > have a double-bowl g with a horizontal stroke through *the right side
> only*
> > of the lower bowl; Lucida Sans Unicode and Arial Unicode MS have a
> > single-bowl g with a horizontal stroke through the right side only of
> the
> [...]
--Reply--
Hello again, Ken and all Unicoders!
Concerning horizontally-barred/crossed consonants, I've observed the following:
·BARRED CONSONANTS ALREADY IN UNICODE: b-bar (L-C only), D-bar/d-bar, G-bar/g-bar, H-bar/h-bar, l-bar (L-C only), T-bar/t-bar
·BARRED CONSONANTS *NOT YET* IN UNICODE—THUS NEEDING PROPOSALS FOR INCLUSION: B-bar (H-C form), K-bar/k-bar, L-bar (H-C form), P-bar/p-bar (with crossbar through upper bowl), Q-bar/q-bar (for voiced *quf*), R-bar/r-bar, S-bar/s-bar, X-bar/x-bar . . . .
Several of these barred consonants (b-bar, d-bar, g-bar, k-bar) are used in the Padre Recuero Transliteration of Ladino, while (h-bar) is used in Maltese—and in the UMRE system (there for voiced *h*). Please take heed to the "need proposals for inclusion" list very seriously.
Thank You!

Robert Lloyd Wheelock
Augusta, ME USA

Changed your e-mail? Keep your contacts! Use this free e-mail change of address service from Return Path. Register now!