On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Tex Texin wrote,
> > Given the (un)workable approach, do you then intend to have variants of
> > code2000 for CJKT, so one can make the appropriate assignments? (ugh!)
>
> Code2000's coverage of CJKTV ideographs isn't adequate to support any language
> yet.  Eventually and hopefully the repertoire will be completed.  Given the
> current "ceiling" of 65536 max glyphs per font, it might not be feasible to
> try to have one font cover all scripts and variants, but time will tell.

I don't mean to detract from the point of this discussion, nor to
criticize a particular font, but I think the Han glyphs in Code2000 are
aesthetically disappointing in that that they are distorted enough (shape,
proportions, and positioning) that they differ farther from any typical
CJK font more so than two comparable CJK fonts may differ due to
language/country glyph preferences.  Compare, for instance, with other
sans serif CJK fonts like Arial Unicode MS, (cn) MS Hei, or (ja) MS
Gothic.

But changing the example to fonts like Arial Unicode MS doesn't completely
solve everything--a sans serif font is not the norm for non-trivial
quantities of CJK text (compare any book or newspaper).  These problems
would cause rejection of a font faster than adverse reactions to
foreign/unfamiliar glyph designs.  (The aging serifed Bitstream Cyberbit
font might be a better example in this respect.)

Thomas Chan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]