I recently checked the OpenOffice Mac port.  It's still at a fairly
early stage.  They don't have Unicode support in place yet (although the
fact that they say "yet" does seem to indicate that they are planning on
adding it; certainly their Windows Unicode support is good, so they know
how to do it and appreciate that it's important).

According to the Nisus web site, they are working on a Cocoa version of
Writer but there is no timetable for its release.  So the wait
continues.

David