William Overington scripsit:

> It seems to me that deprecating these language tags might be a bad thing as
> the language tags could well have potential use in plain text files on the
> DVB-MHP (Digital Video Broadcasting - Multimedia Home Platform) platform in
> order to signal to a Java program accessing a text file the language in
> which any particular text is written.

Of course, deprecation does not mean that the characters cannot be used,
still less (what it means in most standards bodies) that they may be
removed in future.  Once in Unicode, always in Unicode.

Nevertheless, on the facts described, I agree that this is an appropriate
use of Plane 14.  However, I am somewhat skeptical that the facts *are*
as described: is it really the case that *plain* text files are being
used here?

--
John Cowan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of his own