Stefan Persson wrote:
> > > Why doesn't that page follow the ASCII standard and/or
> any ASCII-based
> > > standard?
> >
> > What? As far as I can tell, it's 100% ASCII.
>
> It doesn't follow the ASCII standard as far as quotation marks are
> concerned.

Using ` and ' as quotation marks is a long-standing Internet convention. See
RFC #20, October 1969 (sic!):

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc20.html

"4.2 Graphic Characters
[...]
2/7     '       Apostrophe (Closing Single Quotation Mark Acute Accent [2])
[...]
6/0     `       Grave Accent [2,3] (Opening Single Quotation Mark)
[...]
2 The use of the symbols in 2/2, 2/7, 2/12, 5/14, /6/0, and 7/14 as
diacritical marks is described in Appendix A, A5.2
[...]"

RCF #20 contains no Appendix A, so I guess that this usage is described in
the ASCII standard itself.

_ Marco