You should always keep ATSUStyle objects around as long as possible.

Whether it's faster to keep ATSUTextLayout objects persistently or to create and then destroy them depends on your application. If you redraw the same paragraphs repeatedly, it's to your advantage to retain the ATSUTextLayout objects for those paragraphs in a cache. If you draw text once and then don't draw it again for a long time, you can either recycle the ATSUTextLayout object or create a new one; it's not that expensive to create the object.

The things that are expensive are creating ATSUStyle objects and going through the layout process. For more information, see

http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1027.html

I strongly suggest you ask questions like this on the Carbon-Development mailing list rather than here on the Unicode list. You'll find many more people able and willing to help.

Deborah Goldsmith
Manager, Fonts & Unicode
Apple Computer, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]