Dean Snyder scripsit:

> What are the properties which will trigger separate Unicode encodings for
> characters typically or always represented by identically shaped glyphs?

Well, whyn't you say so?

The normative ones, exactly and precisely.  Casing is normative, so
if language A claims that <squiggle> is upper case, and language B that it
is lower case, then they must have distinct Unicode representations.
Case *mapping* is informative, and it's perfectly all right for language
A to claim that the lower-case form of <squiggle> is <squoggle> whereas
language C makes it <squaggle> instead.  Just another entry in SpecialCasing.

At present, the most comprehensive list of normative vs. informative properties
appears to be in http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.html and
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/PropList.html jointly.

--
My corporate data's a mess!                     John Cowan
It's all semi-structured, no less.              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan