On 12/02/2002 07:27:40 PM Christian Wittern wrote:

>Leaving aside the red light that flashed in my head on the notion of
>the W3C recommending PUA (for interchange?)

That isn't necessarily a problem given that the fundamental assumption of
PUA characters is that their semantics is determined by prior agreement of
the parties involved in interchange. As a solution for unencoded
characters, it has some shortcomings (and it's possible to imagine other
solutions to the problem), but it can be useful if users understand the
limitations.

BTW, Christian, I have continued to be interested in where TEI goes with
this issue as it's still an issue I need to deal with for other contexts,
though I haven't had any opportunity to give any time to it.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485