Tom Gewecke writes
PS The FEFF could well be the BOM (Byte Order Mark)  which  NotePad puts at
the beginning of UTF-8 encoded files (even though it is not needed or
customary for other apps to do so).  It does not have any significance.
The opening bytes are FF FE ( or FEFF read as a short integer), imposed when the file is saved in Word as a plain text unicode.
If these two bytes are deleted the text still opens correctly in Notepad.

The MAC OS is OS 9; my colleague has been put off by an attempt to install OS X, although the CD for it came with his new machine.
I am surprised that he should expect such difficulties with OS 9.

Raymond