From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The lack of the BOM in the 'white space' section of the specs may
just be an oversight.
As one of the authors of that particular passage, I can attest that we considered fairly carefully which of ISO10646's many space characters should count as whitespace in that particular sense. (For historic background, Ideographic Space (U+3000) was briefly on the list.) I remember that we were rather conservative, and added to the standard ASCII space characters only those whose semantics was clearly that of word separators and the like. Only ZWSP seemed to fit the bill.

From: "Doug Ewell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I can't argue with the excellent gumshoe work Roozbeh did.  But it does
seem peculiar, as Michka observed, that ZWSP should be a legal white
space character for this purpose but ZWNBSP should not;
Again, since we aimed mainly to define characters that separated words, ZWNBSP seemed completely inappropriate to include on the list. I suspect that we did not really consider the character's use as a BOM for that discussion.

- John Burger
The MITRE Corporation