In the file U0370.pdf, describing Unicode 3.2, I find the following

  03C6  GREEK SMALL LETTER PHI
        . the ordinary Greek letter, showing
          considerable glyph variation
        . in mathematical contexts, the loopy glyph
          is preferred, to contrast with 03D5

  03D5  GREEK PHI SYMBOL
        . used as a technical symbol, with a stroked
          glyph
        . maps to "phi1" symbol entities

Looking into Adobe's `Symbol' font (version 001.007, coming with
Acrobat Reader 4), I see exactly the opposite: `phi1' is the loopy
glyph, and `phi' is the stroked variant.

Either the Unicode charts are incorrect or `phi1' doesn't denote an
Adobe Glyph name or the Symbol font is wrong or ...

Please clarify.

    Werner