From: Barbara Beeton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: re: [OpenType] PS glyph `phi' vs `phi1'
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:56:03 -0500 (EST)

[Dear Barbara, I took the liberty to cite your message almost
 completely while CCing the opentype and unicode lists.]

> the shapes of the two `phi's haven't changed since unicode 2.0; the
> change for unicode 3.2 is in the additional text.  the naming in
> unicode of 03D5 as a "symbol" is the unicode technical committee's
> convention for indicating "an established variant that we have to
> include".  while i disagree with the designation of 03D5 as a symbol
> to the exclusion of 03C6 (resulting in the note "in mathematical
> contexts ..."), the fact that both shapes already existed in unicode
> meant that they shouldn't be switched, since they had presumably
> been used in documents whose meaning could be corrupted thereby.
>
> i have to regard the unicode use as correct regarding codes and
> shapes.  there *could* be an error in the annotations; i'm not
> familiar with the name "phi1".  the only entity names i know are
> these:
>
>  - isogrk3:
>    - phis = straight phi
>    - phiv = curly or open phi
>  - isogrk1:
>    - phgr = small phi, greek (shown as a curly phi)
>    - there is no straight phi in this entity set
>
> unlike the main unicode names (which can't be changed -- a rule that
> ensures that iso 10646 will be identical to the relevant subset of
> unicode), the annotations can be changed, so i will forward your
> query to my contacts on the utc.

Thanks.  As a conclusion it seems that both Adobe's mapping of U+03D5
and U+03C6 to glyph names and the Unicode annotation for U+03D5 is
incorrect (in case backwards compatibility is of importance).

The right mapping should be

  phi   03D5
  phi1  03C6

    Werner