On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

> It was a requirement for the host system, not necessarily for every
> developer's computer. In real life, many colleagues of mine are still using
> DOS editors or old versions of VI, but they are still able to edit source
> code in UTF-8, as long as they are just interested in the ASCII part (i.e.,
> the commands, tags, statements, etc.).
>
> _ Marco

The fact that people can continue using whatever editors they like as long
as their job function doesn't require meddling with the UTF-8 strings, as
is the case among your colleagues, is clearly a HUGE benefit of using
UTF-8.

Now, what about those of us who require both excellent UTF-8
support, and also want a good programmer's text editor?  Does anybody know
of good solutions for this?

Where is "uvi" (unicode-competent "vi"), for example?  I tried "vim"
(www.vim.org) under "mlterm" (http://mlterm.sourceforge.net/) and it seems
to bungle most UTF-8 strings.  The problem seems to be with "vim", because
a simple "cat"  of UTF-8 files under "mlterm" works perfectly (This was
vim v. 6.0av BETA which came with a Linux distribution and seems to have
been compiled with a lot of internationalization stuff turned on).

My current solution is to use both Yudit (www.yudit.org) and an editor
called Edith (http://www.zfc.nl/).  Yudit meets my unicode needs,
while Edith meets my other needs as a programmer and developer.  So, I end
up using two different editors.  I'd be interested in knowing what other
people use on the major platforms (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux)?  Does
anybody have a good web page summarizing this area?