James Kass said:
> Exactly.  This would seem to work without breaking anything
> existing and would not mean extending the semantics of ZWNJ.
>
> Have you since changed your mind about this?

No!
This is an example of stating something that can be read in two ways -
unfortunatly you took an unintended meaning :-(

Re-iterating in reverse should get the point across, I hope:
I think that a ZWNJ would imply that Ra and Ya should not join together.
(ZWNonJoiner)
But I remembered that in some font designs Ra and Ya *do* join together
(they make a ligature.)
Therefore Ra+ZWNJ+Virama+Ya cannot represent Ra+Yaphalaa when they form
a ligature.

Andy