Correction.

I just checked my old Japanese moji(character)-to-English calculations and I think 1.8-2.8 to 1 is a more realistic ratio than the 2.3-3.2 I mentioned. (Comparing this to the 1.4-1.8 to 1 that I use for Chinese would indicate that Chinese is slighlty more "efficient" than Japanese.)

Also, I compared the Japanese and English translations of the Bible (both done by the same source for the same general readership), and came up with from 1.9-2.29 to 1, as the moji-to-English conversion ratio. It varies depending on how I estimate the number of moji and the number of English characters per page.

Jon

-- Jon Babcock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>