Yesterday, 13 March 2003, I wrote as follows.

quote

So I reasoned that the system might scan through a font when it is loaded
and decide upon the lowest point for the whole font and then proceed on that
basis.

end quote

An email correspondent has kindly written to me privately and I now know
that it is not necessary for an application such as a wordprocessing package
to make a complete survey of all the glyphs in a font as the font is being
loaded, because the information on what are the high and low points for the
font is readily available in predefined locations within the font.

I expect that many readers of this list already know that, yet I feel that I
should post this note in case some readers do not because I would not want
to have set them off on a wrong way of looking at how a system works.

William Overington