If you need a utility to do these conversions for you right away, take a
look at "uniconv" which is part of Gaspar Sinai's Yudit unicode editor.
This is an Open Source program, so you can look at the code too:

http://www.yudit.org

For C++ and Java libraries, check out IBM's International Components for
Unicode, which is also under an Open Source license:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/

ICU has a lot more to offer besides just charset and encoding conversion.
Definitely worth taking a look at!