Pim Blokland wrote:

> Doug Ewell wrote:
>
>> (..) the scenario Pim describes might work (although
>> asking a browser to interpret the internal structure of a font file
>> seems excessive to me).  But the same mechanism is less likely to

> Is it really so excessive? Browsers already have to retrieve a lot
> of font info, like the line height and such. Why not character

  It's not only excessive but also does not work at all for text-mode
browsers (including browsers with speech synthesizer for the blind)
that  have no need for / interest in the internal structure of a font.
Your scheme is going against the stream of separating the content from
the presentation.

Jungshik Shin