> In that case, removing the BOM that would end up somewhere in the
> middle is the natural thing to do, just as removing the EOF marker
> at the end of the first file is.

There is no "EOF marker" at the end of a file.  At least not in
in modern file systems.  There is no NULL, CTRL-Z, or CTRL-D
or anything similar signifying the end of a file. Such "characters"
can be part of a file, though. Also text files. Not just at the end,
but anywhere.

> I'm not going into the implementation part; just pointing out that
> this issue is not something an operating system can ignore.

"cat" and "cp" can and shall ignore it.  They are octet-level
file operations, attaching no semantics to the octets.  Try "iconv".

                /kent k